John Speller's Web Pages Dumfries
John Speller's Web Pages - G&SWR
Dumfries G&SWR Horizontal
Dumfries was the junction for the Glasgow & South Western lines from Glasgow to Carlisle, and to Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbright and Stranraer. It was also the terminus of the Caledonian Railway's branch from Lockerbie (providing the Caledonian with a link from the Portpatrick Joint to Glasgow and Edinburgh) and the G&SWR's Moniave Branch. A video of Gresley "K-4" Class Mogul "The Great Marquess" at Dumfries hay be seen here.
Stirling 2-2-2 at Dumfries in about 1875
Smellie's "Big Bogie" 4-4-0 No. 56 outside Dumfries shed in around 1905
Stirling "71" Class 2-4-0 No. 104A at Dumfries in 1909. The "A" indicates an old locomotive on the duplicates list, but the engine nevertheless looks to be maintained in impeccable condition. Note the gong, operated by the communication cord, on the tender
Dumfries station hotel (left) and station house (right), both happily preserved in 2006, though the attractive barge boards are long gone. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled