John Speller's Web Pages Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock & Ayr Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - G&SWR

Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock & Ayr Railway G&SWR Horizontal
The Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock & Ayr Railway was incorporated by an Act of 15 July 1837. The Engineers were Grainger & Miller of Edinburgh. The line opened in stages between 5 August 1839 and 28 October 1850. On 16 July 1846 the GPK&AR took over control of the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway, and in 1847 the company bought the Paisley and Renfrew Railway. On 28 October 1850 the Glasgow, Kilmarnock & Ayr Railway amalgamated with the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway to form the Glasgow and South Western Railway.
John Miller, C.E. (1805-1883), Engineer of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock & Ayr Railway
Opening of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock & Ayr Railway, 11 August 1840
Kilmarnock - Ardrossan local train at Bogside Racecourse on 26 September 1961 behind British Railways Standard 3-MT 2-6-0 No. 77018. Image copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock & Ayr Railway 2-2-2 Locomotive "Phoenix" built in 1840 by Edington & Son. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled