John Speller's Web Pages Muirkirk Branch

John Speller's Web Pages - Caledonian Railway
Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway) Untitled Untitled
The Caledonian Railway (Muirkirk Branch) Act received the Royal Assent on 5 July 1865 to build an 11 mile line from their Douglas Branch to an end-on junction with the Glasgow & South Western Railway at Muirkirk. The authorized capital was 160,000 with power to borrow an additional 50,000 on loan. The line opened in 1873, and provided a direct route from Edinburgh to Ayr, but although both the CR and G&SWR had mutual running powers these were unfortunately never exploited. The line closed to passengers under the Beeching Axe on 5 October 1964.
Map of the Caledonian Railway's Muirkirk Branch
Site Contents Untitled