John Speller's Web Pages Douglas & Dolphinton Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Caledonian Railway
Douglas & Dolphinton Railway (CR) Untitled Untitled
The Douglas & Dolphinton Railway was projected in 1864 to build a line from near Douglas in Lanarkshire, via a junction with the Caledonian Railway's West Coast Main Line at Carstairs, to a junction with the Leadburn, Linton & Dolphinton branch of the North British. The line made use of the Carstairs to Lanark line, which had already opened in 1855 and is the only part of the line still open today. The Engineer was Ronald Johnstone, a Glasgow Civil & Mining Engineer who was also Engineer of the Glasgow & South Western Railway. The line was completed in 1867, but the Dolphinton to Carstairs was run as a separate branch, known as the Dolphinton Branch of the Caledonian Railway, and the Carstairs to Douglas section was run as part of the Muirkirk to Carstairs line, which connected at Muirkirk with the G&SWR line to Ayr. The Dolphinton Branch closed in 1945.
Map of the Douglas & Dolphinton Railway
Stone bridge from the former Dolphinton Branch near Dunsyre. Image copyright Jim Barton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Bridge over North Medwyn Water on the Caledonian Railway's Dolphinton Branch. Image copyright Richard Webb and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Ponfeigh Station on the Carstairs to Douglas line, in a postcard view of around 1910
Site Contents Untitled