John Speller's Web Pages Dunblane, Doune & Callander Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Caledonian Railway
Dunblane, Doune & Callander Railway Untitled Untitled
The Dunblane, Doune & Callander Railway was authorized by an Act of 16 July 1846 to build a 10.5 mile line linking the Scottish Central Railway at Dunblane with the town of Callander. These powers were allowed to lapse and were renewed by another Act of 21 July 1856. The line opened on 1 July 1858. Under an Act of 29 June 1865 the company was amalgamated with the Scottish Central Railway and thence passed to the Caledonian Railway. With the opening of the Callander & Oban Railway it formed part of the routes from Glasgow Central and Perth to Oban. Traffic was such that the Caledonian Railway felt justified in doubling the track between Dunblane and Doune in 1902. The engine shed at Callander, however, closed in 1924. Under the Beeching Plan British Railways decided to rationalize their lines by making the Oban line a branch of the West Highland Railway. This involved closing the line between Dunblane and Crianlarich, and the Dunblane, Doune & Callander Railway accordingly closed on 1 November 1965.
Map of the Dunblane, Doune & Callander Railway and connections
Callander station in a postcard view of around 1905
A Caley "Jumbo" 0-6-0 at Callander station with a passenger train in around 1910
The distinctive cast iron station bridge at Dunblane, erected in 1895. Image copyright Kenneth Barker and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Site Contents Untitled