John Speller's Web Pages Ponta Delgada Harbor Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Railway History -- Portugal
Ponta Delgada Harbor Railway
The Ponta Delgada Harbor Railway in the Azores was constructed with the jetty in 1861 to build and repair the jetty. The line has a 7 ft. 0 in. gauge. Three steam locomotives and 39 wagons were used to bring stone from a nearby quarry. Locomotive No. 1, built by Neilson & Co. of Glasgow was purchased secondhand from the Holyhead Breakwater. Locomotive No. 2 was built in the early 1880s by Black, Hawthorn & Co., and Locomotive No. 3 was built by Falcon in 1888. All three were 0-4-0 saddle tanks. A cement-mixer truck, designed to run on the railway, is preserved on another part of the island. There were also some traveling cranes that also operated on the rails.
Preserved cement mixer from the Ponta Delgada Railway
From adamnsingers Photostream. Copyright some rights reserved.
From adamnsingers Photostream. Copyright some rights reserved.
From adamnsingers Photostream. Copyright some rights reserved.
Site Contents Untitled