John Speller's Web Pages Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Irish Railways
Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway Untitled HBRHorizontal
Incorporated by an Act of June 1853, the Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway initially built a 5' 3" gauge line from west Londonderry to Farland Point, which opened on 31 December 1863. This proved something of a mistake, and the company abandoned most of its original line after it opened a line from Tooban Junction to Buncrana in 1864. In 1883 the three foot gauge Letterkenny Railway between Cuttymanhill and Letterkenny, and was worked by the Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway who reopened the section of their original Farland Point line between Tooban Junction and Cuttymanhill using 3 foot gauge track to enable through running. Following bankruptcy the Letterkenny Railway was taken over by the Irish Board of Works, but by agreement the Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway continued to work it. Extensions to Cardonagh and Burtonport were constructed in 1901 and 1903 respectively as joint ventures of the Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway and the Irish Board of Trade. At this point the Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway was responsible for a total trackage of 99 miles. It limped on inpecuniously until 1953, when the last of the railways was replaced by a bus service. The Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway, however, continues to operate the bus services in the area and still exists today.
Map of the Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway
L&LSR 0-6-2T No. 1 "J. T. Macky," built by Black, Hawthorn & Co. in 1882 and scrapped in 1911
L&LSR 0-6-2T No. 4 "Innishowen," built by Black, Hawthorn & Co. in 1885 and scrapped in 1940
Bridge at Buncrana on the Londonderry to Cardonagh line
Site Contents Untitled