John Speller's Web Pages Cork & Youghal Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Southern Railways
Cork & Youghal Railway Untitled
It was originally intended to build a line from Cork to Waterford which would connect via ferry with the Great Western Railway of England, but the scheme proved unviable and the project was cut back to Youghal. The Cork & Youghal Railway obtained its Act of Parliament on 31 July 1854, with an authorized capital of 375,000 and powers to borrow an additional 125,000. An additional Act of 2 July 1855 authorized an extension to Queenstown. A third Act of 23 June 1856 authorized the extension of the line from the outskirts of Cork to the center. The Chairman was Isaac Butt (1813-1879), Member of Parliament for Youghal and leader of the Irish Party in the House of Commons. Butt resigned in 1859 and was succeeded by Sir Cusack Patrick Roney (1810-1868), who was the author of several books about rail travel. Roney resided in London where he was also Secretary of the Great Eastern Railway and a Director of the London, Chatham & Dover Railway and of the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada. The Secretary of the Cork & Youghal Railway was Charles Banks, and the Engineer was none other than the redoubtable Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859), who saw the project as an opportunity to extend the influence of the Great Western Railway into Ireland. On Mr. Brunel's death in 1859 he was succeeded by Edward Cadwallader Edwards (1822-1876), who had been Brunel's Resident Engineer on the Cork & Youghal Railway and before that on the Oxford & Birmingham Railway. The line was built to the Irish standard gauge of 5 ft. 3 in. Progress was slow until the line received the backing of London financier David L. Lewis at the end of 1859. The line opened in four sections: Midleton to Dunkettle 10 November 1859, Midleton to Killeagh 27 February 1860, Killeagh to Youghal 25 May 1860 and Dunkettle to Cork Summerhill 1 October 1860. A ferry service ran from Cork to New Milford in connection with the Great Western Railway. Following the absorption of the Cork & Youghal Railway by the Great Southern & Western Railway in 1871, a connection was made to a new Kent Station in Cork which opened on 1 February 1893. East of Glounthaune the line closed to passenger traffic on 2 February 1963 and to goods in 1988, but was subsequently reopened as far as Midleton on 1 July 2009.
Map of the Cork & Youghal Railway in around 1902
Great Southern & Western Railway Ivatt 0-4-4T No. 81 which operated on the Cork & Youghal line in around 1900
Isaac Butt, M.P. (1813-1879), first Chairman of the Cork & Youghal Railway. Portrait by John Butler Yeats, father of the poet William Butler Yeats. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Youghal Station in around 1890
Site Contents Untitled