John Speller's Web Pages Schull & Skibbereen Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Southern Railways
Schull & Skibbereen Railway Untitled
The Schull & Skibbereen Railway was a 15½-mile 3-foot-gauge railway in south-west County Cork. It connected Skibbereen, on the main-line Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway, with the harbor and fishing village at Schull. The line was one of a number built under the Irish Tramways Act of 1883. The only major engineering work was the 12-arched Ballydehob Viaduct over an inlet of Roaringwater Bay. Following a number of delays, the line was finally opened in September 1886, but owing to the misgivings of the Inspector of Railways was limited to a speed of 15 mph, rather than the usual 25 mph speed limit for light railways. The railway was put into administration in 1892, but an extension to Schull Pier was nevertheless completed. The line became part of Great Southern Railways under the Irish Railway Grouping of 1925. Owing to a coal shortage, service was suspended in April 1944, though reinstated in December 1945, by which time Great Southern Railways had been nationalized as Coras Iompair Éireann. Service was once again suspended due to another fuel crisis in January 1947, but this time it never reopened and was officially abandoned in September 1952.
Map of the Schull & Skibbereen Railway
Schull & Skibbereen Railway 4-4-0T "Gabriel," built by Peckett in 1906
Ballydehob Viaduct on the Schull & Skibbereen Railway
Schull & Skibbereen Railway tram engine No. 2 "Ida"
Site Contents Untitled