John Speller's Web Pages Fishguard & Rosslare Railways & Harbours Company

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Southern Railways
Fishguard & Rosslare Railways & Harbours Company Untitled GW Narrow Gauge Horizontal Menu Untitled Untitled
The Fishguard & Rosslare Railways & Harbours Company was a joint venture of the Great Western Railway (England) and the Great Southern & Western Railway (Ireland), and comprised the harbors at Fishguard in Wales and Rosslare in Ireland, together with the ferry service between them, at 54 nautical miles the shortest sea-route from Britain to the Irish Republic. The company also owned the 38-mile Waterford to Rosslare railway line, and the last mile of track from Fishguard into Fishguard Harbour in Wales. Seven miles from Waterford the Rosslare to Waterford railway crosses the River Barrow on a fine 2,130 ft. Scherzer swing bridge, the longest railway bridge in Ireland, which was fabricated in the United States at a cost of 126,000. These works were all authorized by the Fishguard and Rosslare Railways and Harbours Acts of 1898 and 1899 and were completed in 1906. The railway line, although jointly owned by the Great Western Railway was always worked by the Great Southern & Western Railway. Some expresses ran from Rosslare through Waterford to Limerick via the GS&WR. At nationalization the company came under the joint ownership of British Railways and Coras Iompair Eireann.
Map of the railway of the Fishguard & Rosslare Railways & Harbours Company, 1906
Rosslare Harbour
Great Western Railway enamel advertisement for the Fishguard - Rosslare ferry service, c. 1910
Wellington Bridge station 2008. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled