John Speller's Web Pages Cork & Muskerry Light Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Southern Railways
Cork & Muskerry Light Railway Untitled
The Cork & Muskerry consisted of a 15-mile 3 ft. gauge line from Cork to Coachford with a 2-mile branch to Blarney. The Company was formed in 1883 and in 1886 obtained an Act of Parliament to build their line. The 8 miles from Cork Western Road to Blarney opened on 8 August 1887, and the remainder of the line opened on 18 March 1888. A branch to Donaughmore opened on 18 May 1893, bringing the total trackage of the railway to 27 miles. The Cork & Muskerry Light Railway was merged into Great Southern Railways in 1925 and closed on 29 December 1934. The line had seven locomotives, five 4-4-0 tanks and two 0-4-4 tanks.
Map of the Cork & Muskerry Light Railway in 1909
Cork & Muskerry 4-4-0 tank locomotive "Pearl." Guard Oakley, Fireman William Dwyer, Driver John Dwyer
J. B. Wilson, General Manager of the Cork & Muskerry Light Railway 1887-
Cork & Muskerry Light Railway train in around 1910
Site Contents Untitled