John Speller's Web Pages Midland Great Western Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Southern Railways
Midland Great Western Railway Untitled
The Midland Great Western Railway operated 538 miles on mostly single track stretching across Ireland from Broadstone station in Dublin to Afton, Galway and Clifden, with branches to Sligo, Achill and elsewhere. The company was incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1845 and by 1847 had opened the first 25 miles of track from Dublin to Enfield. And by 1851 it had reached Galway. The G&SWR used the MGWR tracks between Athlone & Galway, and were forced to pay the MGWR 65% of the passenger receipts and 55% of the goods receipts for the privilege of doing so. The engineer of the Dublin to Galway line was George Willoughby Hemans (1814-1885), and the route involved some difficult engineering feats, including the crossing of a deep bog between Enfield and Mullingar and the construction of a substantial bridge across the River Shannon at Athlone. The line was extended from
Galway to the west coast at Clifden in 1895.
Map of the Midland Great Western Railway in 1906. To enlarge right click and select "view image"
MGNR 6 ft. 3 in. 4-4-0 No. 129 "Celtic" designed by Edward Cusack and built at Broadstone Works, Dublin in 1902 for hauling expresses between Dublin and Galway.
Observation saloon car for MGWR royal train 1903
George Willoughby Hemans (1814-1885), Engineer of the Midland Great Western Railway 1845-1854. Mr. Hemans was the son of the famous poet Felicia Dorothea Hemans, née Browne (1793-1835)
Site Contents Untitled