John Speller's Web Pages Cork City Railways

John Speller's Web Pages - Great Southern Railways
Cork City Railways Untitled
It was long a problem that there was no rail connection between the various railway stations of Cork. The problem was finally solved, at least after a fashion, by the building of the 5' 3" gauge Cork City Railways in 1911. The line connected Glanmire Road Station of the Great Southern & Western Railway with the Albert Quay Station of the Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway. The line was far from convenient and ran through the streets, requiring a man to walk in front and direct the traffic. Half of the capital of 150,000 was put up by the Great Western Railway of England, who had previously supported the Great Southern & Western Railway's Rosslare to Cork line, which connected by steamship with the Great Western's Paddington to Fishguard Harbour line. It may have been hoped to run passenger service connecting through to Paddington, but in the event when a passenger service was introduced in 1914 it connected through to Dublin and not to Rosslare. The line was grouped into the Great Southern & Western Railway and later became part of Coras Iompair Eirann. The Cork, Bandon & South Coast section was closed on 31 March 1961, but freight service continued on the Cork City lines until 1976.
Map of the railways around Cork in 1906, showing the lack of rail connection between the various stations
1913 Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram of Cork, showing the Cork City Railways system
Freight train on the Cork City Railways outside Cork Albert Quay Station on 1 April 1961. Image © copyright TheTurfBurner and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons License
Site Contents Untitled