John Speller's Web Pages Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Irish Railways
Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway Untitled
The Cork & Bandon Railway was incorporated in 1845 and opened as far as Bandon in 1851. In 1888 the company was renamed the Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway, and the system was considerably enlarged, and extended to Baltimore, with a number of branches. Starting from the Albert Quay Terminus at Cork, where there was a fine station house designed by architect Joseph Hargrave, it passed through Waterfall, Kinsale Junction (branch to Kinsale), Bandon, Clonakilty Junction (branch to Clonakilty), Dunmanway, Drimoleague Junction (branch to Bantry, whence coaches ran to Glengarriff, Kenmare and Killarney), and Skibbereen, to the Western Terminus at Baltimore. The total length of lines was 103 miles. The CB&ECR always worked closely with the GS&WR and was considering a merger with that company even before the Irish Grouping. The Locomotive Superintendent from 1857 to 1887 was Thomas Conran, who was succeeded by John J. Johnstone. At the time of his death he was in turn succeeded by his son, James W. Johnstone, in 1888, who remained through the Grouping and retired from Great Southern Railways in 1927. CB&SCR locomotives were painted olive green lined out in yellow with a dark red running plate. Carriages were painted dark red.
Map of the Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway in 1906
The 500-foot Chetwynd Viaduct, two miles west of Bandon, was designed by Charles Nixon, a former pupil of Brunel, and constructed in 1849-51. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
In 1900 the CB&SCR purchased two 0-6-2ST locomotives from the Baldwin Locomotive Works. These were the first American-built locomotives in Ireland
Johnstone 4-6-0 tank locomotive built for the Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway by Beyer, Peacock & Co. in 1906
Site Contents Untitled