John Speller's Web Pages Kingstown & Dalkey Railway

John Speller's Web Pages - Irish Railways
Kingstown & Dalkey Railway Untitled HBRHorizontal
When the Dublin & Kingstown Railway (4 ft. 8 in gauge) constructed a 1-mile extension to their line from Kingstown to Dalkey they decided to work it Clegg & Samuda's "Atmospheric" system. A piston on the leading carriage of the train was sucked along a tube on 18 inches diameter (one half the size of the tube used on Brunel's South Devon Railway). The line was opened on 29 March 1844 when it was established that speeds of up to 50 mph were possible. Unlike the South Devon Railway, where the leather flap closing the tube was exposed to the weather, on the Kingstown & Dalkey Railway it was protected by an iron strip, and the system seems to have operated satisfactorily for ten years. In 1854 the line was leased to the Dublin, Wicklow & Wexford Railway and atmospheric haulage ceased on 12 April 1854, when the line was converted to 5 ft. 3 in gauge and locomotive haulage was introduced to allow through running to the other parts of the system
An Atmospheric Train leaving Sandycove (Kingstown) for Dalkey
The Atmospheric Railway station (center) in Kingstown
Map of the Kingstown & Dalkey Railway
Charles Vignoles (1793-1875), Engineer of the Kingstown & Dalkey Railway. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled