Chemins de fer de Paris à Lyon et à la Méditerranée John Speller's Web Pages Alfred de Glehn

John Speller's Web Pages - French Railways
Chemins de fer de Paris à Lyon et à la Méditerranée
French Railways Horizontal Menu> </head> <body> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <title>Untitled
The Chemins de fer de Paris à Lyon et à la Méditerranée (PLM) was formed by a merger of the earlier Paris à Lyon and Paris à la Méditerranée companies in 1862. A number of smaller companies were taken over later, and PLM also had railway interests in Algeria. The main line ran from Paris to the Côte d'Azur via Dijon, Lyon, and Marseilles. The PLM became part of the Société Nationale des Chemins de fer Français (SNCF) upon nationalization in 1938.
Crampton-type 4-2-0 locomotive No. 40 of the PLM, built in 1854
PLM "windcutting" semi-streamlined 4-cylinder compound 4-4-0 No. 2.752 of 1897. The PLM was long in the forefront of streamlining
A classic Art Nouveau advertisement for travel to Monaco and Monte Carlo via the PLM designed by Alphonse Mucha (1860-1939) in 1897
In 1934 the PLM rebuilt one of their 4-cylinder compound "Atlantics" with a streamlined casing for working the Train Bleu between Paris and Lyons. Although the locomotive was capable of nearly 100 mph, French law limited the speeds of trains in public service to 75 mph, so the locomotive was only able to average 61 mph over the Paris to Lyons route. The all first class Train Bleu was put on in 1922 and ran from Paris to Lyons and Marseilles and then via all stations to Menton on the French Riviera. It was the setting on Agatha Christie's The Mystery of the Blue Train (1928)
Site Contents Untitled