LNWR John Speller's Web Pages Chemin de Fer du Nord

John Speller's Web Pages - French Railways
Chemin de Fer du Nord
French Railways Horizontal Menu> </head> <body> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <title>Untitled
The Chemin de Fer du Nord, which operated the railways in Northern France, was Incorporated on 10 September 1845 and initially built a line between Paris and Lille, and construction began in 1846. The principal projectors were the Rothschild families of France and England and Baron James Mayer de Rothschild (1792-1868) was the first President. The line had important international links and ran many of the the British boat trains via lines to Boulogne (1848), Calais (1849), and Dunkirk (1862). A link via Douai and Valenciennes (1846) also made through running possible from Paris to Brussels. The railway was headquartered at the Gare du Nord in Paris. The line became part of the Société Nationale des Chemins de fer Français (SNCF) upon nationalization in 1937.
The Gare du Nord, Paris, by Charles Rivière, 1846
0-2-6-2-0 duplex locomotive built by Jules Petiet in 1862 for the Chemin de Fer du Nord. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Paris-Calais express behind a de Glehn Compound Atlantic in a postcard view of around 1910
Chemin de Fer du Nord train arriving in the station at Noyelles-sur-Mère behind 4-6-0 locomotive No. 3.182. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons
Site Contents Untitled