John Speller's Web Pages Marmoutier Abbey

John Speller's Web Pages - French Organs
Marmoutier Abbey French Organs Horizontal Menu Untitled Untitled
The Silbermann organ at Marmoutier Abbey Church. Photograph courtesy of the Rev. Martin P. Culverwell
Marmoutier Abbey. Photograph courtesy of the Rev. Martin P. Culverwell
Andreas Silbermann (1678-1734) built a new organ for the Abbey of St. Étienne in Marmoutier, Alsace, in 1710. Later, in 1746, his son Johann Andreas Silbermann (1712-1783) added the Echo division, Positif Cromorne and three additional stops to the Pedal division. (The wooden resonators of the 16 ft. pedal reed unfortunately obtrude above the casework). The instrument is famous both for the beauty of the voicing, and for its ability to play both German and French music.The current stop list is as follows:

Hauptwerk:
16' Bourdon
8’ Montre
8' Bourdon
4' Prestant
2 2/3' Nazard
2' Doublette
13/5' Tierce
1 1/3' Fourniture IV
1/2' Cymbale III
8' Cornet V
8' Trompette (basse/dessus)
8' Voix humaine
4' Clairon (basse/dessus)

Rückpositiv:
8' Bourdon
4' Prestant
2 2/3' Nazard
2' Doublette
13/5' Tierce
2/3' Fourniture III
8' Cromorne

Récit:
8' Bourdon
4' Prestant
2 2/3' Cornet III

Pedal
16'Flûte
8' Flûte
4' Flûte
16' Bombarde (wood resonators)
8’ Trompete (iron resonators)

A recording of Ewald Kooiman playing Bach's harpsichord Toccata in D minor (BWV 913) on the Marmoutier organ may be found here.
Site Contents Untitled