St. Michan's Church, Dublin
St. Michan's Church in Dublin has an organ case dating from 1724. This originally contained an instrument built by John Baptist Cuvillie (or Cuvaille), a former employee of Renatus Harris, at a cost of £470, and completed in 1725.
Harris originally sent Cuvillie to Dublin in 1697 to install an organ in Christ Church Cathedral, and he seems to have stayed in Dublin and set up his own business after this. Cuvillie's name is believed to be an Anglicization of Jean-Baptiste Cavaillé, which would make him a member of the same famous organ-building family that a century later would produce the celebrated Aristide Cavaillé-Coll. It is sometimes claimed that this organ was played by Handel, who is said to have performed the "Messiah" on it. At least this makes a change from the ubiquitous Handel's "Largo." William Cornmell of Dublin added a Swell Organ in 1787, and the organ was subsequently rebuilt by Richard Benson in 1877, and again in 1952, by which time only the original case and façade pipes remained.
The contract specification was printed in Barra Boydell's article, "St. Michan's Church, Dublin: The Installation of the Organ in 1725 and the Duties of the Organist," in Journal of the British Institute of Organ Studies, 19, (1995), p. 82:
Sesquialter III Rks.
Furniture III Rks.
Cornet (midC) V Rks.
Two Great reeds (Trumpet & Clarion?) and Choir Organ prepared for; these seem to have been inserted between 1725 and Cormell's rebuild of 1787. The 1787 keyboards survive in the church.