John Speller's Web Pages Salvator Mundi Domine

John Speller's Web Pages - Evening

Salvator Mundi Domine Untitled Untitled Untitled
The original Latin hymn, of which these words are a paraphrase, was incorporated in the Statutes delivered by Henry VIII to the following Cathedrals of New Foundation — Canterbury, Carlisle, Chester, Durham, Gloucester, Peterborough, Rochester and Worcester — with the injunction that it should be used “by all in our Church before retiring to rest.”

The translation was made by James Walter Brown (d. 1930), a member of the Choir of Carlisle Cathedral for over half a century and a noted local historian. The text was first set to music as an anthem by Frederick W. Wadely (1882-1970), Organist & Choirmaster of Carlisle Cathedral 1910-60, and published in the Musical Times of May 1920. It is here set as a hymn to Orlando Gibbons's "Angel's Song," originally written for No. 34 of George Wither's Hymnes & Songs of the Church (1623).
Fra Bartolommeo di Pagholo (1472-1517), "Salvator Mundi"
Site Contents Untitled